What's your favourite solo album?

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

What's your favourite solo album?

Postby Richard » Tue May 31, 2011 9:44 am

I really love Denny's Waiting for a song album. Crystal clear production and gorgeous backing vocals from Cass and Michelle on 7 of the 11 tracks. Almost another Mamas and Papas album! 8-) Standout track for me is Give me back that old familiar feeling, but all the tracks are superb.Oh yes, and I love all of Cass's solo albums. Not sure which Cass album I like the best, The road is no place for a lady is up there though. I'd really like to hear John's Wolfking of LA album, which Denny described as the best album TM&TP didn't make. Rich.
Richard

Re: What's your favourite solo album?

Postby John Sands » Tue May 31, 2011 10:50 am

My 2 favorites are 'Wolfking' and Cass' first RCA album
John Sands

Postby CassFanForLife » Tue May 31, 2011 2:25 pm

Hiichard...great question !!! As for my faves...hmmm...well, I must say, that out of what stuff I have now, ( I'm slowly building up my collection ), in the CDs, Denny's " WAITING FOR A SONG ", and Cass' 2 for 1 CD- "CE/TRINPFAL", as my faves, and for the Mamas and Papas stuff I have , their GOLD Double CD and the 2 CD compilation that has the songs, " For the Love of Ivty ", " Once Upon A Time outtake, John's " Missippi" and Michelle's " Aching Kind ", etc are my faves.
Now, I'd like to get my hands next, on Denny's other solo album " Whatcha Ya Gonna Do ", John's album with " Missippi " on it, and Cass' " DCMMA" album, for starters, then go from there, eventually having the collection I want ;)

I remember most of their hits as a kid growing up in the 1970s, not necassarily knowing who they were and looked like, but their music I remembered first and foremost, even at an early age, I knew great music when I hear it !
It's just over the last while, that I've come full circle to fully appreciate their music :)
CassFanForLife

Postby glennc » Tue May 31, 2011 6:19 pm

I agree with John. Wolfking and Cass' first RCA are the best. Then I will always have a special place in my heart for Cass' first solo Dream A Little Dream and Mama's Big Ones too. I have to say - I think Pussycat is up there too.
glennc

Postby Nicole » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:27 am

Hi everyone,
My favorites are Victim of Romance, Wolfking, Waiting For a Song, The Road is no place for a Lady, and Phillips 66 in no particular order.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby John Sands » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:56 am

Now that's a lot of favorites, Nicole. Way to go girl!
John Sands

Postby Nicole » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:40 am

Hi John,
Thank you.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Would have to say Wolfking and Waiting for a Song for me.
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby oldschooljamz87 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:48 am

I always have a hard time choosing between Denny's two albums I think Waiting for a Song pulls together better than Watcha Gonna Do but "The Drummer's Song" and "Gathering the Words" are my favorite songs of Denny's solo work.

The Road is my favorite Cass album hands down. I haven't listen to much of John's solo work but based on what I've heard I would have to say Wolfking.
oldschooljamz87

Postby Richard » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks to all the replies so far. I'm very glad to see that quite a few of you have also mentioned my fave, Denny's Waiting for a song. Denny's voice is as rich as on the M&P albums, the choice of tracks is excellent, and best of all those terrific backing vocals from Cass and Michelle. :)
I love all of Cass's albums. I'm still not sure which is the best. Road is no place for a lady is certainly up there. As are 'Dream' and 'Bubblegum'. I also love the album she made with Dave Mason, especially the track Sit and wonder. My only grumble with this album is that there should have been more of Cass's voice. Rich.
Richard

Next

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)