[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - What's your favourite solo album?

What's your favourite solo album?

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: What's your favourite solo album?

Postby jcg » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:28 pm

For me, without a doubt, it is the Cass Elliot album: her voice, the material, the production...I could go on forever. Equally awesome is the Don't Call Me Mama Anymore live set. Her voice had matured into a finer-honed instrument and she she seemed poised on the edge of a career rebirth.
jcg
jcg

Postby CassFanForLife » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Hiya jcg...well said !!!!

I'm so happy that Cass finally, truly, had come into her own with the last 2 albums, the only thing is that she didn't get the chance ( her passing ) to go full steam ahead and really go with her career to the fullest potential...she was in the midst of just becoming into that recognition and drive....I can only imagine what all she could of achieved in her lifetime had she lived, and what a great thing it is that we have what we do, for to have not had any thing at all to which to enjoy and honour and recognize the gift given to us by her time with us , her precious musical legacy, it certainly would be a void for us all.

I also applaud the fact that , in her solo times, her recognition for her vocal gift /personality as opposed to her size was finally coming to the light of day - long overdue, in my opinion...

Thankyou Cass :) for given us the gift of You , in voice/being :)
CassFanForLife

Postby pauliewood » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:54 pm

"WolfKing" and "Waiting for A Song" undoubtedly my favorites. I think "Wolfking" is brilliant and it proved to me that John could create without the group...he was such a genius. Not impressed by any of Cass Elliot post-M&P efforts that much..way too middle of the road and bubblegum. If I had to pick one Cass effort, it would be "Dream A Little Dream", her 1st. Michelle's post work has "Aching Kind", which I've always loved, but otherwise, solo-Michelle has produced nothing too impressive in my book.
pauliewood

Postby Midnight Voyager » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:04 pm

John Phillips - Wolf King of LA
Michelle Phillips - Victim of Romance (with bonus tracks!)
Denny Doherty - Waiting for a Song
Cass Elliot - Cass Elliot
Midnight Voyager

Postby Eran » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Waiting for a Song is hands down my favourite. To this day I remember how I literally fell out of my seat when I read on Amazon that a lost Denny Doherty album was coming out with Cass and Michelle singing backing vocals on it. The first time I heard 'Simone' and 'Children of My Mind' was an experience I've never forgotten and have since, not been able to recreate with any other album. And of course, 'Give me Back..." makes me all misty eyed whenever I listen to it. And don't even get me started on Cass' July 1974 liner notes... It's simply a perfect, harmonious convergence of the three's amazing friendship and amazing talent which shines on all 11 tracks.

Woolfking of LA - Took me a while to warm up to it but in the last year it's shot up to number two in my favourite solo album list. Once I understood what Denny had meant by John having arranged the album for the Mamas and the Papas, the penny dropped and it all fell into place. I listen to Topanga Canyon, Captain and Holland Tunnel and hear in the arrangements and harmonies what could easily have been stand out tracks on 'If You Can Believe..." especially on Captain where those opening lines sound EXACTLY like they're sung by Cass. And truth be told, I do enjoy John's vocal on it as well, as I did on 'I Can't Wait' and 'Meditation Mama.'

I need to mull over Cass and Michelle's solo efforts some more before submitting you all to another lengthy reply :)
Eran

Postby Midnight Voyager » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Midnight Voyager

Previous

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)