[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - pic thread

pic thread

Non-Cass Elliot related discussion threads belong here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: pic thread

Postby Robbie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm

Hey everyone,

Great idea Dunhill! I'll go next. Well I am just 22 years old so my history with the band isn't as much as you guys, although I wish all the time I would have discovered them when I was like 5 haha. My first memory of hearing a M&Ps song was when I saw forrest gump for the first time and the song California Dreamin that was played in the movie. My best friend at the time had an older sister who had the official soundtrack so me and him would always listen to it and we always loved the song and the name of the band. But I still had no clue what they looked like or any of their other work until I was in 7th or 8th grade I cant remember which. I just remember thinking how cool they all looked and being totally obsessed with the 60s which I still am. Anyways a couple years ago thanks to youtube and me finally getting an Ipod and having money to buy albums and everything, I got every single M&P album I could find. Then I became obsessed with all their solo work and got all their albums which made me appreciate and like them even more.

Its weird because when I watch videos of their performances and hear the music I almost feel nostalgic!! even though I wasnt alive at all I have that feeling. I've never had that with any other artist ive liked and I guess thats why I feel so attached to the band.. almost like I know them personally even though I never met any of them.

And thats how I became a M&P fanatic :D

-Robbie
Robbie

Postby dunhill » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:54 am

Chris, are you singing lead on Could This Be The End? To me, it has a very Zombies (the Odessey & Oracle period) feel to it, which I see is listed as one of the groups that has influenced your band.
dunhill

Postby ditzi » Sun May 18, 2008 1:50 am

Robbie, my experience is a little similiar to you! :D

I was born in 1994, and up until a few years ago, I didn't really have an interest in music... ya know, I just listened to whatever was on the radio... and if you asked me to name an "old band" I would have said "Uhh.. The Beatles?"

But then I heard "Make Your Own Kind of Music" on LOST and fell in love :) . Thanks to YouTube and iTunes, I kept looking up Cass and The M&PS and became a firm fan. I got every single of theirs I possibly could, and put it on my iPod. They're now my fave singer and fave band respectively. :D

To give you an idea of when this was, in early 2007, a few months after I discovered the brilliance of The M&PS , I read Denny Doherty's obituary in the paper. My mom was shocked that I knew who he was! ;)

So, when I discovered The M&PS, I discovered Scott MacKenzie, The Mugwumps, The Lovin Spoonful, etc.... and then I started listening to other great bands and artists from the 60s: The Beatles Jefferson Airplane, The Who, The Doors, The Beach Boys, Buffalo Springfield, Sly & The Family Stone, Jackson 5, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, etc.

I really believe I was born into the wrong era because, instead of listening to rappers shouting about guns and drugs and crime, I'd rather be back in the Summer of Love in 1967, at Monterey Pop Festival... enjoying the peace, love and music...

So, basically, thats how I fell in love with Cass, The M&Ps and the 60s in general...

Its also the reason why, a coulpe of weeks ago, I was passing a shop, and I saw a peace-sign pendant in the window. I nearly screamed, and immediately went in and bought it, cos I'd wanted one ever since I discovered the great era of music I like to call "The Cass Years." :D

:D Eimear. xx
"Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you..."
ditzi

Postby Nicole » Mon May 19, 2008 7:51 am

Hi Elmear, ( I hope that's your name at the end of the post, I didn't want to post "Hi ditzi"!)
Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong time also. I too would love to go back to 1967 and the Summer of Love. Welcome to the board.
Take care, Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby John Sands » Mon May 19, 2008 10:50 am

Nicole,

I don't want to belabor the point but we had a little of that 'summer of love' feel in Boston the other night. Especially since the real thing was there!
John Sands

Postby Nicole » Wed May 21, 2008 6:51 am

Hi John,
You're right! :mrgreen:
Take care, Nicole
Nicole

Postby MandyBug » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:01 pm

This is me over a year ago...I've gained weight since then.

By the way, I'm new :D .

Is there a thread for newbies? :)
MandyBug

Postby Nicole » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:30 am

Hi mandybug,
Welcome to the board!
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Previous

Return to Off-topic Discussion