[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - People Like Us

People Like Us

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: People Like Us

Postby Frankie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:02 am

I found a copy of People Like Us, & I'm enjoying every groove of it. I do mean groove. I found a copy at the record store around the corner in perfect condition for $3 ! It really is a cool record store called Hymie's Vintage Records.
There's a Mamas & Papas bin, & a separate bin for Cass Elliot.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, the people here who did it with love.
Frankie :geek:
Frankie
Frankie

Postby Eran » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:00 pm

She co-wrote some of the group's most successful hits, co-organised the first ever rock music festival in history and discovered 'Me and Bobby McGee' before Janis did, to name but a few of her many achievements prior to People Like Us, and yet, from some conceited place of misinformed arrogance, ignorance, or a winning combination of the two, you seem to think it's perfectly ok to describe Michelle Phillips as "nothing more than a celebrity shag".

A few choice four-letter words also come to mind in reply to your post, but this is not the kind of forum this place is.
Eran

Postby Nicole » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:08 am

Hi Eran,
Nice to hear from you. I agree.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Midnight Voyager » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Midnight Voyager

Postby Dark Horse 77 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:57 am

Looks like a deluxe edition is ready for release:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/People-Like-Del ... B007XCH0VK

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/nowsounds-exd.asp?id=3716

I'm no expert, but a lot of the bonus tracks look like Papa John solo songs, but I guess he attempted them with the rest of the group.
Dark Horse 77

Postby TRAVISJAMES03 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Sadly, I was very excited about the new material until I found out that it would be solo JP's songs. Sorry, but the bonus material has to be the M&P's. I already have "Fantastic Four," the alternate to "No Dough," et al.
TRAVISJAMES03

Postby Dark Horse 77 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:03 pm

I just got this in the mail today. I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but the booklet is a great read with great photos. There are some bands JP was working with at the time that I'll have to look up. The bonus tracks appear to include one outtake from the People sessions, a few from Wolfking, alternate mixes of both sides of JP's 1972 single, and a few other JP tracks that were used on the Diamonds sessions. The common link appears to be that JP used a lot of the same players on both the 1971 group and 1972 solo sessions. There's a final bonus track that's connected with Space (Man on the Moon) that I'm not sure is on the Man on the Moon cd (again, not enough time to check everything yet). At the end of the booklet it's apparently part of the Papa John Presents series with the familiar logo and Jeffrey Greenberg work. So I guess that finally answers my question as to what we'd be getting from the series this year. I was a bit worried as we've gotten something every year for about five years and I was hoping last year's two-fer wasn't going to cancel out 2012.
Dark Horse 77

Postby Richard » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:18 pm

I thought I'd heard every M&P track until today. Browsing through youtube I stumbled across Fantastic Four, an outtake from People like us. Why wasn't this included on the Anthology box set :?: Its a great track, reminiscent of their 60s classics, a real shame it didn't develop beyond the demo stage. It would have sounded great with all 4 vocals! Is it just John on this track? I can't hear Denny, and the girls definitely aren't there. Is it in fact a M&P outtake, or just an unreleased John demo. I love Honeymoon which I've also only just discovered. Probably even better then the offical No dough! Are these the only 2 M&P's tracks among the bonus tracks :?: I've heard the others are simply John demos. Which leads me to my ultimate question. What else is there gathering dust in the vaults :?: Does anyone know if there is an undiscovered recording featuring the Fantastic 4. Rich.
Richard

Postby jcg » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:59 pm

Help you guys.
I have PLU on album, CD and as part of the 4-CD Anthology collection. My question is: Is the new remaster worth purchasing yet again? I do like this album (I'm sure the multiple formats clued you in), but I've always bemoaned the lack of Cass on it. Does the new remaster in any way bring Cass' voice more to the foreground? What about the extra songs? I really want to get it, but since I'm not a Hilton, I have to be selective. Help!
jcg

Postby Nicole » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:09 am

Hi jcg,
I don't know if this helps, yet, as far as I know, this version was re-mastered from the original master tapes. I'm not a technolgically savy person, but in my humble opinion the sound quality is excellent. Also, the label took time and gave it really nice packaging. Lastly, the liner notes by our Richard Campbell and Jeffrey A. Greenburg were oustanding. They give the listener great insight into the album's recording and the circumstances in which it came about. As I said in other posts, I'm a liner note person, so I was really glad, brcause prior releases of PLU didn't have any. I hope this helps you make a final decision.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

PreviousNext

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)