[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Their Last Recording

Their Last Recording

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Their Last Recording

Postby davidasix » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi,

I wondered if we know (from memories, witnesses, interviews, or recording session information) what the last song recorded by the Mamas and the Papas, Cass Elliot, John Phillips and Denny Doherty were.

M&P: The People Like Us Album must contain the final recording. Which track, I wonder?
Cass: Was there any recording of her last live performances in London at the Palladium? If not that, what?
John: I think John's posthumous last album must have contained his last recording. Which track, I wonder?
Denny: I suspect unfinished recordings with Paul recently released must have been last. Which song, I wonder?

BTW, it is more for curiousity and the bittersweet listening experience that I'd like to know.

Dave
davidasix

Re: Their Last Recording

Postby oldschooljamz87 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:02 pm

oldschooljamz87

Postby Rbcsoup » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:05 am

Cass' last solo studio recordings were "I'm Coming to the Best Part of My Life" recorded curiously July 30, 1973 (nearly one year to the day of her death). She also did some studio work on "The Torch Song Medley" on July 31, 1973. She was recorded on television subsequent to that and she did backgrounds on Denny's "Waiting for a Song" album in May 1974 . There are no known extant recordings of her Palladium concerts.

John Phillips' last solo recording was "If" from January 2001

Denny's is, as some have said, some of the things he did with Paul Ledoux just weeks/months before he died.

The group's last effort, from the session sheets for the People Like Us album looks to be possibly Pacific Coast Highway on September 22, 1971 or Snowqueen of Texas and Pearl on October 5, 1971.

Richard
Rbcsoup

Postby Eran » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:33 am

Aren't we forgetting a fourth member here?

Well, to the best of my knowledge, Michelle's last ever lead solo effort was 'Forever' on the 1977 soundtrack of 'California Dreaming.' I know of backing vocal efforts in the '80s on Belinda Carlisle's breakthrough album, but other than that, I think that's it.
Eran

Postby Rbcsoup » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:49 am

Eran--Sorry. I thought given the "bittersweet" comment to the earlier query, it was about their "final" recording. Since Michelle is still living, I didn't respond in case she chooses to do anything else.

Remember, Mae West and Ethel Merman both did albums in their seventies....

At any rate, right you are about Forever and Belinda C's album

Richard
Rbcsoup

Postby TRAVISJAMES03 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:17 pm

I was always under the impression that "Step Out" was their final recording.

Though a bit OT, it is obvious that "Pearl" is about Janis Joplin, but does anyone know who "Snowqueen of Texas" is about? JJ was from Texas, but the lyrics don't fit her life and I don't think that there would be two songs on the same album about the same persom (JMHO).
TRAVISJAMES03

Postby Nicole » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:56 am

Hi TravisJames,
If I remeber correctly, According to John Phillips, In his book, Snow Queen was about Michelle. But don't quote me on that.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Rbcsoup » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:11 am

Snowqueen of Texas is about fashion model Deb Dixon.
Rbcsoup

Postby Nicole » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:42 am

Hi,
Sorry about the mis-information. :oops: For some reason, I thought "Snowqueen" was a companion song to "The Frenchman". Thanks for clearing that up.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)