[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - MAMAS & PAPAS PLAY IN PHOENIX

MAMAS & PAPAS PLAY IN PHOENIX

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

MAMAS & PAPAS PLAY IN PHOENIX

Postby roger » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:35 am

There is a play beginning in Phoenix on April 25th thur May 20th, called "Dream a Little Dream"...the Life and Times of the Mamas &The Papas. This is the play that was produced and directed by Denny Doherty.
My twin brother who lives in Phoenix saw it a few years ago when it had its debut there . At that time it was called the "almost true story of the M & P." He said it was great! He knew how dissapointed I was that I was not able to see it, so he bought me a really cool tye-dyed shirt that they were selling at the show. The play was a great success at the time and even broke all records for attendance at this 80 year old theater....so they have brought it back. Not sure who all is in it this time, but the lady who plays Cass, Alisa Schiff is the same one who was there before and even had her own off broadway show called "Mama Said....the Songs of Cass Elliot. She had great reviews! I believe this was in production back in 2006. A recent picture in the Phoenix showed the four actors in a replicia pose of the M&P, and it was amazing how much they resemble each especially the Michelle and Denny characters.
So I am going next month to see it...despite just spending spring break there two weeks ago.
While in Phoenix there were all sorts of posters and banners with picture of the Mamas & Papas, announcing its coming. We even went to the theater to see if we could buy some posters and they were thrilled we wanted to buy a few. I took some pictures and would share these here but I am not sure how to do that on this site.
There was a large permanent picture above the theater box office of Alisa striking a pose of Cass when she held the poster on stage that said "Cass is Ominpotent"!!
Will let everyone know when I get back from the play!

Roger
roger

Re: MAMAS & PAPAS PLAY IN PHOENIX

Postby Nicole » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:31 am

Hi Roger,
Thanks so much for your post. Please post how the play went when you see it. looking forward to it. :D
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Rbcsoup » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:38 am

I talked to Paul Ledoux today and here are some details--

The show opens this Friday andr uns until at least May 27th.

Paul went to a tech run last night. He says, "It's still not perfect but I think it's shaping up to be the best one since we lost Denny."

Here's the link.

http://www.phoenixtheatre.com/Home.aspx

Richard
Rbcsoup

Postby roger » Mon May 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Hey all!
Saw the play a couple of weeks ago in Phoenix. Loved it. It was really done well. All the characters were right on the mark especially the actors playing Michelle and Cass.
Cass' character was played by a very talented lady who was also there five years ago when it made its debut in Phoenix. Turn out was very good for all the shows...they extended it another week. Rumor has it they may be taking this play on the road. If it comes to your area, it would be well worth seeing.
The groups vocal arrangements were very good and there was great energy...I think the original members would be happy with it....accept for maybe Michelle....she did not come across as being a team player with the band....but hey Michelle was the youngest of the group and probably the most imature at that time.
The audience was made up primarily older people ( myself included), who were probably young hippies in their 20's during the M&P glory days!
All in all I was thrilled to get to make the trip to see the play...well worth it!

Roger
roger

Postby CassFanForLife » Mon May 21, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi Roger, thankyou for your review of the play, glad you went and enjoyed it all ;) That would be nce if it went on the road, as I never did see Denny's play on the road when Denny did it :( Any links to the play and/or photos of the cast ?!
CassFanForLife

Postby Nicole » Wed May 23, 2012 7:16 am

Hi Roger and Cassfan,
Roger, thanks for the review. It seems from what I've read, that the play is faithful Denny's performances. I also wanted to see the play when Denny was performing it, but never got the chance. Hopefully, if they take it on the road, I will get to see it, one day. Cassfan, I don't know of any other links other than what Richard Campbell posted previously. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Take care,
Nicole

Postby pauliewood » Sun May 27, 2012 9:35 pm

great reading these comments. I have the soundtrack recording from original, and would love to see this show sometime. It would be nice if someone could answer my inquiry (made over a week ago) about the coming re-release of "People Like Us". I would love to know if, in fact, all of the added tracks are truly brand new never released recordings, or the same that Varese released some time back in its "John Phillips" series. Richard wrote liner notes, so perhaps he knows?
pauliewood

Postby CassFanForLife » Mon May 28, 2012 1:54 pm

CassFanForLife

Postby Nicole » Wed May 30, 2012 6:49 am

Hi Cassfan,
You're welcome.
Take care,
Nicole

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion