American Idol sings California Dreamin'

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

American Idol sings California Dreamin'

Postby Nicole » Fri May 11, 2012 7:32 am

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to pass along the info that last night on American Idol, the remaining contestants sang Califronia Dreamin'. In my humble opinion they did a good job. Yet, I much prefer the Wilson Phillips version, but I'm biased. :lol:
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Re: American Idol sings California Dreamin'

Postby Rbcsoup » Mon May 14, 2012 6:20 am

I went back and viewed it after my sister alerted me to it. There was virtually no harmony in this rendition. I become increasingly convinced, when it comes to The Ms and Ps catalog, I think California Dreamin' and Monday Monday are best left alone....
Rbcsoup

Postby CassFanForLife » Tue May 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi, even though I didn't watch this episode of American Idol, I agree for the most part with Richard and Nicole, certain songs are better left untouched with the exceptioon of the offspring ( Owen, Chynna) and these twins from Austria > MonaLisa Twins...they do a fabulaous rendition in my opinion, check them out on youtube for their version of California Dreamin !
CassFanForLife

Postby Sportguynj1 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:33 am

Hi Guys,

I watched "American Idol" and I saw this episode when the remaining contestants sang - or should I say attempted to sing - "California Dreamin'". There was no harmony at all and I think that 's the problem with "American Idol" and these other reality singing shows - most of these so-called "singers" can't sing harmony at all - and isn't that a key component to being a good singer? I agree with everyone else who left a comment - outside of the Wilson Phillips tribute album (Carnie, Wendy and Chynna have the right to sing their parent's songs and they did those songs justice because those girls can SING!) - I feel that the Mamas and Papas catalogue of songs should be left alone. No one can re-create the harmony that John, Michelle, Cass and Denny achieved. There are just certain songs in the Great American Songbook that should be left alone - "California Dreamin'" and "Monday, Monday"are two of them.

Cheers,

Rob
Sportguynj1

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)