Judy Henske - An influence on Cass?

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Judy Henske - An influence on Cass?

Postby Eran » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:07 pm

I discovered this spectacular singer today who, apparently, began recording about the time The Big Three were, and guys, listen to this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR7oLQdm ... re=related

OMFG!

I feel like I am listening to the track that should have followed 'Young Girl's Lament' or 'Wild Women.'

Or try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR7oLQdm ... re=related

I am just completely in awe right now so had to share this "discovery" with the group of people I knew would appreciate it this best. In some parts you'll hear on 'Empty Bed Blues', I swear to god, it sounds like Cass and Janis blending their voice together.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the listening.
Eran

Re: Judy Henske - An influence on Cass?

Postby Rbcsoup » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:24 am

There's no doubt about it. This is one reason Judy was interviewed for the A & E Biography. I think they influenced each other. Jerry Yester, Judy's ex, Bob Bowers (Bass Player with The Big 3) and Tim Rose all agree that particularly in The Big 3 days there's a strong Henske influence. Cass, I have been told, did "Love Henry" too--if you don't know that performance by Judy H, check it out. This is the same time that Gusti Hervey and Ginnie Clemmons were also having an influence on Cass.

Richard
Rbcsoup

Postby Nicole » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:57 am

Hi Eran,
I agree with you. Baltimore Oriole could definltly follow Wild Women. Thanks for the link.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby CassFanForLife » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Whoa....this sent shivers up my spine !!!!! How they sound uncannyily identical..... I can , as all of you've said, definitely agree in that Cass was influenced ... could you imagine how they would of been had they done a duet together ?!....And the only other person who can sing closest to Cass is Leah, but this Judy gal, sure does the trick !!! Thanks for sharing the link, i had no idea :)
CassFanForLife

Postby Rbcsoup » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:46 am

I talked to Jim Hendricks yesterday and told him about this discussion. I also told him I thought some here would be interested in his perspective and this is what he had to say--

"Cass and Judy were good friends. She could stomp a pair of high heels into sawdust in one show. Cass was her own person and everybody I knew in folk music looked up to her. Her influences came more from theatre. Nobody could sing Wild Women or Young girls lament like she did when she was with The Big 3."

Richard
Rbcsoup

Postby Rbcsoup » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:30 am

Another perspective on this from one who was there, Bob Bowers--who played the bass and arranged with The Big 3---

<<<<

I worked often with Judy Henske and her guitarist John Forshay (sp?) Judy provided her own percussion by stomping on the plywood stage in her high-heel boots. The soundman/electrician/carpenter John Gibbs had to replace the panel every couple of days due to the holes Henske drilled into it.

The only way Judy influenced Cass, as far as I know, was not musical. It was Henske's song intros: usually quite long, intricate, convoluted, filled with non sequiturs and always witty and hysterically funny. e.g. For the intro to Lord Richard, he and his lady went on a picnic in a glade down by a stream, where (before she "offed" him) they dined on delicacies such as "fruit jars filled with mayonnaise and garbanzo beans." In an other, she had people seated on chairs of "unborn Naugahyde."

Jim and Tim could rarely afford new strings, so often had well-used handoffs from other guitar players. Tim was an especially aggressive player, and rarely managed to finish any song without breaking at least one string. Restringing a guitar and managing to keep it in tune is very time consuming. So instead of waiting for this to be accomplished with a lot of "dead air," Cass would improvise a story ala Henske. Since these moments were regular and often, Cass became very adept at it.

>>>
Rbcsoup

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion