[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - People Like Us

People Like Us

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: People Like Us

Postby Dark Horse 77 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:07 am

I completely agree. The sound and bonus tracks (I know they're not previously unreleased) give a great overview of where JP was at around this time, and make this album well worth buying again for those who already have it. I was glad to see the Papa John Presents series continued as well. The one thing that I don't understand that was included was the song from Space, wasn't that from at least a few years after People Like Us?
Dark Horse 77

Postby Nicole » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:56 am

Hi Darkhorse,
Are you referring to the last bonus track "Andy's Talkin' Blues"? If so, it is a demo version that's on the new release of PLU. If I remeber correctly from JP's book and other things I've read, he started working on Space which as you know, was later re-titiled Man on The Moon around the same time as the Plu sessions. Hope this helps.
Tale care,
Nicole
Nicole

Postby jcg » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks Nicole. I was actually looking for an excuse NOT to buy this; I see now that that's futile.
jcg

Postby pauliewood » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:48 pm

what about "April Anne" on the new PLU release? Something we haven't heard?
pauliewood

Postby Dark Horse 77 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:44 am

Dark Horse 77

Postby Nicole » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:16 am

Hi Pauliewood darkhorese 77, and jcg,
You're welcome and according to the liner notes of the new release of PLU, the version of "April Anne" is the B side to the single of Mississippi.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby pauliewood » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks again, Nicole. I have never heard the B-side of "Mississippi" (April Anne). Was wondering: is it very different than the John Phillips album version?
pauliewood

Postby Nicole » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:10 am

Hi pauliewood,
You're welcome. As far as I can tell, there isn't that much difference between the single version and album version of April Anne, but I'm not very technologically savy, so it's possible I could have missed something. :oops: Hope this helps.
Take care,
Nicole

Postby TRAVISJAMES03 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:59 pm

Believe it or not, in the M&P's box set liner notes, Michelle Phillips actually apologizes for "PLU" even being made!

The only songs I like from that album are "Snowqueen of Texas," "Pearl," "No Dough," & "Shooting Star."
TRAVISJAMES03

Postby Nicole » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:14 am

Hi TravisJames,
Even though Michelle Phillips does apologize for PLU being made in the liner notes to the M and P box set, after reading the liner notes to the new release of PLU In my humble opinion I feel initally she wanted to record with the group again, but as things were being finalized the record company sued the group, thus making for difficult reording sessions.
Take care,
Nicole

PreviousNext

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)