Pop groups influenced by The Mamas and Papas

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Pop groups influenced by The Mamas and Papas

Postby Richard » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:44 am

How many pop groups can you think of that have been influenced by The Mamas and Papas unique sound. There are many vocal groups comprising male/female harmonies that owe more than just a nod to The M's and P's.
I'd love to hear any more suggestions I may have overlooked, as I'm always eager to discover underrated bands from that golden era of pop!

Here's a few to start things off;
FROM the USA
The Fifth Dimension
The Free Design
Spanky and our gang
The Cowsills
The Love Generation
The Peppermint rainbow
The Groop
The Looking glass
Salt water Taffy
The Sunshine Company
Eternity's children
The Collage

From the UK
Brotherhood of man
The New Seekers
Design
Blue Mink
Arrival
Middle of the road
Pickettywitch
The Settlers

From Canada
The Poppy Family
The Bells
The Sugar Shoppe

ABBA from Sweden admitted The M's and P's were an influence in their early days, and their first 2 singles sound remarkably like them, especially He is your brother.

I'd love to hear any more suggestions! :) Richard.
Richard

Re: Pop groups influenced by The Mamas and Papas

Postby Nicole » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:14 am

Hi Richard,
Off the top of my head, I can think only three groups that were influenced by the Mamas and Papas: Vangelis, (I'm not sure where they are from, but they 've said they were influenced by The Mamas and Papas) The Manhattan Transfer (I always thought with John Phillips's like of Jazz this group was influenced by the M and P's) and Fleetwood Mac. If I think of more I will post.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Frankie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:59 pm

How about Wilson Phillips? :mrgreen:
Frankie

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:07 pm

Members of The Bangles have stated that they were influenced by the M&P's, and they've been known to play Go Where You Wanna Go at concerts.
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Nicole » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:48 am

Hi Frankie,
You're right, I can't believe I left out Wilson Phillips and I'm such a huge fan! :oops: In my initial reply to Richard's post, I was thinking more along the lines of groups that were contemporaries of The Mamas and The Papas. Wilson Phillips was defintlely in fluenced by the group. Thank you for mwntioning them. :D
Take care,
Nicole

Postby Nicole » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:51 am

Hi Frankie,
I meant to say "Thank you for mentioning them." :oops: I seem to have spelling issues today :lol:
Take care,
Nicole

Postby CassFanForLife » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:35 am

This was a good topic, I hadn't really thought of anyone post M & P's that were influenced by them, and some of the ones mentioned, I 'm not familiar, but definitely, Fleetwood Mac, Wilson * Phillips, Bangles....

Geez, I wish today's music for the most part in most genres would rather consider going back and listening to Cass and gang because , to me, pre-80s music, wwas the best, although some 80s stuff I did enjoy and my heart was always a fan of country music then, and some of today's country acts that are still somewhat traditional, I still think that the country-ish sounds of Cass singing " Sour Grapes", and a couple of others from that CD and Denny's " Whatcha Gonna Do " , would of made for a great country duet from those two, or even a stint in the country music genre....but , none the less, I love all the music that was created , and to know that they are still an influence to the new generations, well, that's speaking volumes to their gift of musical legacy theiy left as Mamas and Papas :)
CassFanForLife

Postby Nicole » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:44 am

Hi Cassfan,
A country album with Cass and Denny, that's a neat idea. I wonder if they had paired together on Whatcha... what that would have sounded like... As Cass sang, we can dream can't we? :D
Take care,
Nicole

Postby Sportguynj1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

You can add The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Sugar Ray to the list of bands who were influenced by the Mamas and the Papas. Lead singers Anthony Kleidis and Mark McGrath have both said in interviews that they were influenced by the band and especially in Cass in particular.

If we can expand this to include solo artists, k.d.Lang has said on MANY occasions that the Mamas and the Papas were one of her greatest influences. She recorded "Dream a Little Dream of Me" on the "Duets" album she did with Tony Bennett several years ago.

Cheers!

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby Eran » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:19 am

A wonderful UK band that's been around since about 2004 called The Magic Numbers are HUGELY influenced by The Mamas and The Papas. They're a four-piece band, two brothers and two sisters who sing many of their songs in 4-part harmonies and when you look at some of their publicity shots, a few of them actually look like tribute/rip-offs (delete as appropriate) to the M&Ps second and third album covers.

Highly recommend their self titled debut. Listen to "Mornings Eleven" "Forever Lost" and "Undecided" to name but a few great tracks.

Look familiar?

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/ ... mbersx.jpg
Eran

Next

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)