Pop groups influenced by The Mamas and Papas

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: Pop groups influenced by The Mamas and Papas

Postby Nicole » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:20 am

Hi Eran,
That photo definitly looks like the cover of the second album. I think I read somewhere, where the group said that they were influenced by the M and P's, but I'm not sure.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby pauliewood » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:22 pm

Remember "The Peanut Butter Conspiracy"? Their one big hit in the 60's was "It's A Happening Thing". Their harmonies were very M&P's-inspired.
pauliewood

Postby Richard » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:20 am

Some great suggestions here! Thanks Eran for reminding me of The Magic numbers. I'd only really heard Love me like you before. Some of their other stuff is definitely M&P's influenced. I've never seen them perform before, so it's a pleasant surprise to see a credible band around today with 2 males/2 females! :)
Thanks for reminding me of The Peanut Butter Conspiracy Paulie. It's a happening thing is terrific! I'm off now to find more of their stuff on youtube!
Keep those suggestions coming! :D Rich.
Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:42 pm

A few months ago I discovered another group from the late 60s comprising 2 females/2 males whose sound strongly resembled the Mamas and Papas. They're called Euphoria. They only made one excellent album in 1969, and most of the tracks are on youtube. There is now, What a day and sittin' in a rockin chair are terrific tracks.
Also, another American vocal group, Punch, were very much like The M's and P's. Again 2 males/2 females. They made one album in 1971 and some of the great tracks from it are also on youtube, such as Open highway and a brilliant cover of While my guitar gently weeps. Let me know if you like them! I'd love to discover more bands that are similar to The M's and P's, so if you know any not on my original list in the first post of this thread please add them here. Thanks! Rich. :)
Richard

Postby GlennS » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:35 pm

Fairport Convention's self-titled album has Mamas and Papas harmony on one of my favorite tunes from it, called "Book Song." It's an album of British folk-rock featuring the superb vocalist Sandy Denny, from around 1968.

Not only groups were influenced by the M/Ps but also solo artists. Neil Diamond, for example, has very Mamas/Papas sounding call and response female harmonies on his early hits like "Cherry Cherry," "Thank the Lord for the Night Time," and, an obscure but wonderful tune, "Sunday Sun." Check it out.....!
GlennS

Postby Eran » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:49 am

Richard,

Thanks to you, Euphoria whom I'd obviously never heard of before has been at the very top of my play list for well over a month now. Some of the vocal arrangements on that album (Calm Down, Seldom Seen Slim) sound so much like the M&P it is uncanny.

I cannot recommend this album enough, everyone. Look them up on YouTube and if you like what you hear, then get it! It's worth it.
Eran

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:16 am

Eran, so glad you're enjoying Euphoria :!: I wish they'd made more than the one album. There will only ever be one M's and P's but Euphoria could well be the next best thing! Have you or anyone else listened to The Groop , Free Design, The Collage or Peppermint Rainbow, groups that also have 2 members of each sex and sound uncannily like The M's and P 's. My latest discovery is The Eighth Day (2 females, 4 males) who made one excellent M's and P's inspired album in 1968, and some of the tracks are on youtube. 8-)
Oh btw, you have to type in The eighth day 1968, to find them, as there are other groups with the same name. Building with a steeple is my current fave of theirs. Rich.
Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Just wanted to mention The Gentle soul who made a terrific folk-rock M's and P's style album in 1968. Flying thing is a wonderful track! It's on youtube, plus other tracks by them. Also on youtube is Nevertheless by The Eclection, same year, and strongly influenced by The M's and P's. 8-) Rich.
Richard

Previous

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)