Question regarding "Don't Call Me Mama Anymore"

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Question regarding "Don't Call Me Mama Anymore"

Postby jcg » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:23 pm

Hello Richard,

While waiting for the new DCMMA cd, It struck me that no mention was made of releasing the related TV special on DVD also hinted at a few years ago. Could you let us know the status of this potential release? Is it even close to happening? No such thing as too much Cass.

thank you for your help,
jcg
jcg

Re: Question regarding "Don't Call Me Mama Anymore"

Postby CassFanForLife » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:18 pm

I'm with jcg on this potential hope of it happening....I was too young to appreciate the tv special originally but long to see it now:-)......
CassFanForLife

Re: Question regarding "Don't Call Me Mama Anymore"

Postby jcg » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:54 pm

My question just got a whole lot more complicated.

While reading the excellent liner notes for the new release (good show, Richard), I discovered that the songs on DCMMA were re-recorded in the studio and that some of the studio versions were used in place of the live material! First off, the news isn't as bad as the discovery that the Kiss Alive album was, in fact, heavily overdubbed and, thus, hardly live. On the original DCCMA album, it clearly states on the cover that it was "recreating selected highlights from her CBS Television Special" and that only "portions of this album [were]recorded live at Mister Kelley's, Chicago." I totally thought the whole thing was live, with the exception of "I'm Coming to the Best Part of my Life," which does betray the polish of a studio production. While the new material is fun and essential, the real revelations for me were in the liner notes.

So, it seems to me then, if the album is mostly comprised of studio material, the real unseen/unheard treasure would be found in the television special itself--that is where the most new material would be concentrated, which makes my desire to see it all the more all-encompassing. For the love of Cass and for all of us who love her, LET"S GET THAT DVD RELEASED!!!!

Not to mention: Would not the gathering of the various audio components of the entire DCMMA project (Mr. Kelley's live, the studio versions, and the TV special soundtrack) not make an excellent CD Boxset--ala Miles Davis, whose every note is released (yes, I feel she is that important)? An essential look at a quintessential artist at work on what would be one of her last projects--that would be faint-worthy. Richard, sir, please enlighten us!

I think alot about that,
jcg
jcg

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion