Is Cass Joni Mitchell's Annie?

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Is Cass Joni Mitchell's Annie?

Postby jcg » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:07 pm

Ok, I acknowledge that this question has probably been asked here before, but I can't find any reference to it.

I recently broke out Joni Mitchell's Ladies of the Canyon. On the song of the same title, Joni refers to Annie, a lady who "always makes you welcome" and "sits you down to eat." With "Cats and babies 'round her feet," she caters for her guest, baking "some brownies" and welcoming them all back, ensuring that "all are fat and none are thin." Is Annie Cass? Is this a thinly veiled homage to a woman who welcomed Joni most warmly into the Laurel Canyon enclave?

help!
jcg
jcg

Re: Is Cass Joni Mitchell's Annie?

Postby CassFanForLife » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:28 pm

Hey there jcg...
Sorrry, can't help you on this one, but interesting question, maybe it is Cass, she refers to...from what I've read and heard from interviews , Cass was a person that brought warmth to whomever she met up with and you became friends with her, she radiated a pull that you just naturally came to her with, and you were glad to have done so :)
If only, I'd been born somewhat 10 yrs earlier than I was....lol !!!!
CassFanForLife

Postby Rbcsoup » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:45 am

Somwhere I have read that "Annie" is Carole King. Don't hold me to that.

I do love Joni's music and especially Cass' interpretation of the several songs of hers she performed but I must say, humbly and frankly, I think that Joni Mitchell could have, over the years, been a bit more vocal and expressive about Cass who was a good friend to her....
Rbcsoup

Postby John Sands » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:34 am

I'm a big fan of Joni's and come to think of it, in her inerviews she doesn't speak that much about any of her friends, lovers yes, but not her friends. Maybe because sho puts it all in song?
John Sands

Postby jcg » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:35 am

Fascinating!

I would have never guessed that Carole King would be a candidate for Annie. Nowhere that I've read have I seen any indication that she had Cass' embracing, motherly instinct. When I recently re-heard the "Ladies" song I said "Aha!": it sounded like Cass to a "T." But I guess it goes to show you that, like life, nothing is that cut and dried.

Re: Joni, I agree that she isn't forthcoming or acknowledging enough of Cass and their friendship. When I was initially reading and researching, I thought that Joni and Cass were very close friends; but, unlike Crosby, Nash, Sebastian, Diltz etc..., who continue to venerate her, I came across nothing from Joni. Hmmm... I still feel that the reference in the song is a fairly accurate snapshot of a day at Cass' house circa 1968.

Thanks for the input you guys. Maybe someone will uncover the solution to this little riddle one day.
jcg
jcg

Postby Papa J » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:28 am

This article apparently clarifies who "Annie" really is.

http://jonimitchell.com/library/view.cf ... rom=search
Papa J

Postby Nicole » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:36 am

Hi papaj,
Facinating article. Thanks for the post.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Papa J » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:18 pm

You're very welcome, Nicole!
Papa J

Postby jcg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:19 pm

Papa J

This is why I love this forum. Thanks for the info.

take care,
jcg
jcg

Postby Papa J » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:06 pm

You're welcome, jcg. I'm glad I was able to shed some light on the matter.
Papa J

Next

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion