Bio's terribly unfair to M&P's.

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Bio's terribly unfair to M&P's.

Postby TRAVISJAMES03 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:55 pm

I was rewatching all of my taped programs about the M&P's (E! True Hollywood Story, etc.), and think that the M&P's were being treated unfairly.

In every bio, they say that the M&P's music was not very good in their final releases - b*llsh*t.

Some of my favorite songs are on their later albums ("Safe in My Garden," "Too Late," "Midnight Voyage," "Snowqueen of Texas," "Pearl," "Did You Ever Want to Cry," "For the Love of Ivy," etc.).

Granted, the "PLU" album WAS a studio forced project, but there are gems there. I LOVE the "Papas and Mamas" album to death!

The M&P's music simply evolved as the (in real-life) finally realized that the 'dream' wasn't what they expected.

IMO, some of their best work was on those later albums!
TRAVISJAMES03

Re: Bio's terribly unfair to M&P's.

Postby Nicole » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:16 am

Hi TJames,
I agree with you!
Take care, Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Nicole » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:17 am

I mean TravisJames. Sorry!
Later, Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby TRAVISJAMES03 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:19 pm

Call me whatever you want, Nicole!

;)
TRAVISJAMES03

Postby Caden » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:36 pm

you know i've seen most of the documentaries on the mamas & papas but i've never seen the behind the music episode on the group. is it any good? has anybody seen it?
"die young stay pretty"
Caden

Postby TRAVISJAMES03 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:49 pm

The "BTM" version is good, but there is a lot of info left out.
TRAVISJAMES03

Postby John Sands » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:47 am

The directors cut of BTM was the better of the 2.

The Papas and the Mamas was suberb and People like Us was great. Loved them both!
John Sands

Postby adamcarr » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:46 pm

I agree, I think M&P's PEOPLE LIKE US is a great album and hate when it's mentioned as part of the "decline" of the M&Ps.
Cheers,
Adam
adamcarr

Postby Rillig » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Is the bad press partly because of Cass's remark that the later material was overproduced? Or is there another root?

I guess I see what she is getting at but I think I wore out the needle on my record player listening to "For the Love of Ivy" as a teenager... and have been listening to "Midnight Voyage" on a loop all day today...

Rillig
I'd rather be different than be the same.
Rillig

Postby John Sands » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:28 am

Hey Guys

I love 'People Like Us' for 2 reasons.

One reason is Michelle's contribution to the record. To me it shows how imperative she was to the overall group sound and how she could hold her own as a vocalist. 'Snowqueen of Texas' is to me a song that ONLY Mama Michelle can sing, with, of course, superb harmony from our very own beloved Papa Denny.

The second reason is Cass' contribution to the record. I always loved Cass' solo songs, but I really loved the magic touch that she added to group songs, 'Look Through My WIndow', "Free Advice', 'For the Love of Ivy', 'Trip, Stumble and Fall', etc, etc. On "People Like Us', the 2 lines that she sings on "Pearl' make the song for me and at the end of my favorite track on the album, "Lady Genevieve', that soaring voice singing, 'Torn from the willoooooooow', still sends shivers up the old spine.
John Sands

Next

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)