Cass and the Tonight Show

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Cass and the Tonight Show

Postby Brownjb81 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:14 pm

I was listening to American Top 40 on Iheartradio the other day and they were airing a countdown of the Top 100 songs of 1974 and Casey Kasem mentioned that Cass was one of the many entertainers who guest hosted the Tonight Show whenever Johnny Carson was on vacation. He brought that up because he was playing the song "Sunshine On My Shoulders" by John Denver, as he also guest hosted Tonight Show. Coincidentally, John Denver had the No. 1 song on the Billboard Hot 100 when Cass died. That song was called, "Annie's Song".
Brownjb81

Re: Cass and the Tonight Show

Postby jcg » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi Brownjb81,

Thanks for posting. If I recall correctly, she hosted more than a few times and was quite excellent at it.

Those appearances are part of Cass' rich and apparently lost video legacy. I thought that youtube would help bridge the gap--considering how hard (nigh impossible) it's been getting Cass' legion of superb TV appearances out on DVD. For a while it did; however, apparently lawyers have gotten their claws into it and clips are disappearing at an alarming rate. Makes you long for the days before the internet became so over-corporatized. Innocence is always lost.

In the meantime, we can only hope some of this amazing stuff will find its way to DVD or Blu-Ray at this point. The Don't Call Me Mama Anymore TV special would be a great start.

take care,
jcg
jcg

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion