Eve of Destruction Version 2.1

Non-Cass Elliot related discussion threads belong here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Eve of Destruction Version 2.1

Postby davidasix » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:51 pm

Hi all,

We clearly owe a debt of gratitude to Barry McGuire for introducing the Mamas and Papas to Lou Adler and for sharing his second Dunhill album with the M&Ps. In the same sense we owe Eve of Destruction for making Barry so popular that there was a second album. On that theme, I highly recommend listening to the newly recorded and updated Eve of Destruction Version 2.1. Sung by Barry with help from Roger McGuinn and Mick Fleetwood. Listen here with sound up:

http://www.trippinthesixties.com/Barry's%20Blog.html

Another note of interest from the blog:

Arriving I was surprised to see Spanky of Spanky and Our Gang. She scored several hits in the late 60's. Titles like, "Can I Get To Know You," and "Lazy Day."
She was there for sound check with Valerie Venet, Nick Venet's widow. [Read the earlier blog to find out more about Valerie and how we met.}

As Barry and John approached the stage, it felt like this was going to be a flawless night. And it was....The musicianship was right on target with John getting several ovations after his solos and Barry was at his footstoppin,' folk-shouting best, telling the stories, kidding the audience and taking some heckling from Spanky. Spanky joined them onstage during the Mamas and Papas set. She harmonized, grinned and laughed. As Barry sang Fred Neil's "The Dolphin Song," I saw
Valerie wipe the tears away. Valerie has kindly given us permission to post her comments to Barry on an e-mail exchange the following day"

"Barry, you are the only one on this planet that can do
Fred's songs justice. For me, your versions are
powerful. Your voice magnificent. Fred and Nik[Venet] would
be very proud."
Valerie Venet
davidasix

Re: Eve of Destruction Version 2.1

Postby Nicole » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:34 am

Hi David,
That was cool! Thanks!
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen: