Anyone know anything about a full Smoothies album?

Share stories and discussions about John Phillips.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Anyone know anything about a full Smoothies album?

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:58 am

On page 132 of Papa John, John says

"Later in 1960, our first album, which was mostly folk, came out and we released a couple more singles, 'Lonely Boy, Pretty Girl' and 'Ride, Ride, Ride.'"

Having read the book several times over the last ten years or so, I never seemed to have noticed this line before. Is this accurate? Richard, do you, or does anyone else, have any information on this?

I absolutely cherish the three songs by the Smoothies I've been lucky enough to acquire over the years, (sadly, I've still yet to hear "Joanie", been trying to track it down for years :(

A whole album of recordings would be amazing!
Ars_Nova_Chris

Re: Anyone know anything about a full Smoothies album?

Postby Rbcsoup » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:49 am

In addition to the four songs that came out on the two singles, they recorded "Michael Row The Boat Ashore" and "Bile (boil) the Cabbage Down" and I think the Banana Boat Song. I need to check my notes. These three are still extant in the vaults--but Mike Boran told me there was a gaffe in Michael Row the Boat Ashore.

There are two songs recorded by The Abstracts and again, I have to check my notes for their titles. This is a private recording and pretty rough--both in performance and quality but if such an album were ever done it would fit nicely.

To sum it up, I don't think The Smoothies did an album per se but rather had a recording session which yielded the above. Another gem would be if Dick Clark still has the American Bandstand performance of Softly on film/tape....

With all due respect to John, you have to verify/corroborate some of the ancient history in Papa John
Rbcsoup

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:56 am

Thanks for the info, Richard!

I talked to Mike Boran the other day and he told me the story, but could not remember what else was recorded other than Michael Row the Boat Ashore.

Think there's any chance that any of these tracks will ever be released?
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby davidasix » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:22 pm

I was reading that Tim Rose (Big Three) played with the Smoothies and formed a brief duo with Michael Boran. Is this true?

http://www.musicianguide.com/biographie ... -Rose.html
http://www.tim-rose.co.uk/biography.htm

Yet another connection between the group.

Dave
davidasix

Return to John Phillips