Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nomination

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nomination

Postby roger » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:44 pm

This may have been discussed before and if so I apoligize...and this is probably a question for Owen or Richard.
Was just wondering the other day if they thought Cass could or would be nominated for her solo work? I think I saw where someone...can't remember who had been nominated even though they had in the past been already recognized for their group. I think Cass' solo accomplishments stand on their own regardless of her work in the Mamas & Papas. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Roger
roger

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nomination

Postby John Sands » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:03 am

A good point Roger. I imagine she does fit the bill.
John Sands

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nomination

Postby Gregory24 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:25 pm

I know I am responding to this rather late in the game, but I only check the site now and again... unfortunately, the odds of Cass Elliot ever being inducted into the Hall of Fame (other than her previous induction along with The Mamas & The Papas) as a solo artist is highly unlikely. They have seemingly already passed many artists of this era by in favor of 80's work such as Madonna's first dance record's win from last year. Nothing against Madonna winning... eventually... her "Ray of Light" from years later was a superb work, but she was inducted in her first year possible and it was for a flimsy second-rate dance song. Plus, it took The M's & The P's, I believe, almost ten years to be inducted past the time that they were eligible. They were part of an outstanding year, however, induction-wise, Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles were also inducted. Plus, if you take a look at the list of winners, women in general have a hard time passing the test... and let's face it, much of her work beyond the M's & the P's was more pop than rock. As a side note, the night Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham met at a party ...they went off to a corner and sang "California Dreamin'". I bring Ms. Nicks up here as well because she also has been nominated only in a group category... yet, she had a #1 album produced by rock producer Jimmy Iovine, was nominated for quite a few best rock female ROCK Grammy awards, etc., etc. But, she is a woman... and yes, sadly, I do believe that sexism is alive and well in the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame.
Gregory24

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion