[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Mamas & Papas 1980s - info required

Mamas & Papas 1980s - info required

Forum to discuss other group members, i.e. Scott Mckenzie, Spanky McFarlane, Mackenzie Phillips, Jill Gibson, etc.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Mamas & Papas 1980s - info required

Postby KeithERice » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:08 am

I'm going to be posting a blog on JP/Ms&Ps on www.integratedsociopsychology.net tomorrow, provisionally entitled 'The Mamas & The Papas: sex, drugs and rock & roll or incest, addiction and unreleased albums?'.

The purpose of the blog is 2-fold...

1. To draw attention to 'MANY MAMAS & PAPAS' - it's GOOD!!!, isn't it! - my site averages around 400 visitors per day - so hopefully some of them will wander on to the Blog and learn about 'MANY Ms&PS.

2. To present a sociopsychological analysis of the Ms&Ps turbulent story - esp JP.

The questions I need help with are:-

a) With music as good as on 'MANY' and furnishing the Beach Boys with a number 1 hit, how come the Ms&Ps couldn't - didn't? - get a record deal?

b) Why was 'MANY' credited as a JP album when it really is the Ms&Ps and all but 2 songs were recorded as the Ms&Ps? I've looked to find an e-mail to contact Varese on this question but there doesn't seem to be one.

So, if anyone on this board can help me with these questions, that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Keith
KeithERice

Re: Mamas & Papas 1980s - info required

Postby dunhill » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:06 pm

dunhill

Postby KeithERice » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:06 am

Thanks for this, Dunhill.

I remember seeing 'MANY MAMAS & PAPAS' being touted as an upcoming release on the Ms&Ps website in something like 1999 - so I assumed at the time it would contain at least some tracks featuring Deb Lyons and Lisa Brescia. Didn't know John was planning a third vanity label after Warlok and Paramour.

As for releasing 'MANY MAMAS & PAPAS' as a JP album, I just don't get it. Whether it's money or wanting more people to appreciate JP's genius, a new Mamas & Papas album is going to get a lot more attention and sell a lot more than a JP album.

Huge missed opportunity in my view - unless, of course, someone like Michelle and/or Cass' estate has put the kibosh on it. Who owns the Ms&Ps name anyway?

Best

Keith
KeithERice

Postby Rbcsoup » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:27 am

Charles has put it well. At the most, it could have been billed as an album by "The New Mamas and Papas" or "John Phillips & The New Mamas and Papas"---but to simply sell it as a new, "Mamas and Papas" release is confusing, if not wrong. There were already too many times when the new group was together (I was at some of the concerts) where people yelled "Where's Michelle?"---because the advertising had simply said "The Ms and Ps." Varese and the Phillips estate hit it right with the title and billing of this great group of recordings.
Rbcsoup

Postby Dark Horse 77 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:29 pm

If anyone knows the years each of the tracks on Many Mamas were recorded I would really appreciate it. They give some, but not all in the booklet and I'm a dork for these things.
Dark Horse 77

Return to Other Mamas, Other Papas