People Like Us remix from the PBS box set

Ask or tell others about where to find Cass Elliot products and memorabilia.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

People Like Us remix from the PBS box set

Postby pauliewood » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Does anyone know if the new remix will be released on its own at any point? I would love to hear (and own) it. I would prefer not having to shell out $156 for the whole box set. Thanks.
pauliewood

Re: People Like Us remix from the PBS box set

Postby Nicole » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:36 am

Hi Paulie,
That's a good question. According to Richard Campbell in a post in the General Cass Elliot discussion forum he has heard, "scuttlebutt" that the People Like Us re-mix is going to be rereleased, but there's nothing definite as yet. Keeping my fingers crossed that this happens. Hope this helps.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby pauliewood » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:13 am

Thanks, Nicole for your response. Well, I broke down and purchased from PBS, and very happy I did. The People Like Us remix is pretty stunning. In some cases it appears that altogether different takes were used. It has a much fuller, more dense sound than the original. An often heard critique of Peope Like Us, was that Cass' vocals were undermined. Cass is everywhere here, and sometimes even as her vocals seemingly sometimes come out of nowhere (as in that first "for people like us so much in love"..this is the only place things feel a bit out of synch timing-wise, but it's still great to hear). Every track is different in some way, and not just the vocals. Horns and strings infused/enhanced (the jazzy Pacific Coast Highway is amazing). I am listening to "Step out" as I type this. Cass is upfront singing along with Denny, and the instrumentation is enhanced. An altogether alternate version. Some may like, some not. I find it fascinating and pleasing. "Shooting Star" is like fireworks (way more "doo doo doo doo doo doo doo's and altered intro. Love it. "Pearl" has a powerful finish, imho, more effective than original. I'm just giving some tidbits and my own opinion, but I feel like a classic I always loved has been given a whole new life. I hope it gets more widely distributed. Hats off to the hard work and obvious dedication of Mike Milcher and Joe Marchese bringing this project forward. What does enter my mind however, is the fact that John Phillips produced "People Like Us". I wonder if he would approve of this remix?
pauliewood

Postby Nicole » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:30 am

Hi Paulie,
Thank you for the commentary about the new PLU remix. I find it interesting. Good question. Since John Phillips produced PLU, it's intriguing to wonder whether or not he would have approved the remix. Do you think that this remix sounds more like the records the group did with Lou Adler producing? Just curious.
Take care,
Nicole

Postby pauliewood » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:20 am

Nicole, I find this remix really brings out the harmonies and vocal intricacies. I realize it is basically tons of overdubbing, but it works! I know from reading comments (by lou adler and bones howe especially), that there was a lot of playing around with vocal tracks to achieve an overall sound. Lou Adler had the luxury of having the group working and recording at the time, so he was able to make suggestions and work with the group and John to achieve the great results he got. Today it's basically working with a lot of old tapes. Many discounted "People Like Us" upon its release, but am I the only one here who remembers an initial rolling stone review that gave it 4 stars and praised it?? I wished I had saved it, because I haven't been able to find that review in years. I believe it was retracted, not sure why. I wonder what Michelle thought about it? I do not recall her ever mentioning it. If she did, please make me aware. I do recall,in her autobiography, commenting on the "Papas and the Mamas" album and stating "I hardly remember anything about it except that it wasn't very good". I was stunned when I read that, as again imho I felt it was a crowning achievement, my favorite Mamas and Papas album to this day. It's good chatting (so to speak) with you Nicole.
Paul
pauliewood

Postby Nicole » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:46 am

Hi Paulie,
Wow, Rolling gave it four stars? cool. To answer your question, Michelle Phillips never liked the album either. She has said it was four people trying to get out of a lawsuit. If you remember their record company was suing them, thus they recorded PLU. I always liked the album. It seemed to me, had the group stayed together into the 70's, this is what they would have sounded like. I also think it's cool that Michelle Phillips wrote a song for the album, " I Wanna Be a Star." The first time she did so.
Take care,
Nicole

Postby jcg » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Man, this needs to happen on a wider scale. Let's be honest: most people cannot afford the price for the PBS box set. And now that it is not so easy to find would be the best time to release this more widely. Doesn't the copyright for these recordings expire in like 0.6 seconds? I hope/pray that this is in the works. Has anyone heard anything tangible?
jcg

Postby Nicole » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:54 am

Hi jcg,
Unfortunately, I have not heard anything tangible. Keeping my fingers crossed for the new year. This year (2018) it will be 20 years since the group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I'm hoping there will be new releases in conjunction with that.
Happy New Year,
Nicole

Postby The Magenta Mushroom » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:05 pm

I just uploaded the whole PLU remix to YouTube, along with a couple HQ audio tracks and a couple Rarities. Check em out on my channel linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrdWig ... Awoly8e7ww
The Magenta Mushroom

Return to Products and Memorabilia