[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Scott McKenzie Rare Single

Scott McKenzie Rare Single

Forum to discuss other group members, i.e. Scott Mckenzie, Spanky McFarlane, Mackenzie Phillips, Jill Gibson, etc.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Scott McKenzie Rare Single

Postby davidasix » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:49 am

I think we discussed the rare SCOTT McKENZIE WIPE THE TEAR UNUSED 1960s 45 LABEL SET.

I contacted the Iris Music Group who run the Alan Lorber releases (they put out the rare unreleased tracks by Cass - "Didn't Want to Have to Do It).

They were very surprised to hear about these labels, which strongly indicate that these unreleased tracks were cut by Scott and Alan. I told them it would be great if they could find the tracks. Who knows what hides in the vaults?

I notice that the album labels are no longer for sale. I kept a pic and link if anyone wants it.

Here is the relevant data:

Capitol Records 5500 (45-26114 & 45-26115)

There Stands the Glass (Hill-Shurtz-Greisham) by Scott McKenzie from
Hill and Range Songs, Inc. BMI-2:02; 5500; (45-26114) Produced by Tom
Morgan; Arranged and Conducted by Alan Lorber

Wipe the Tears (From You Eyes) (Scott McKenzie) by Scott McKenzie from
Sweet Reliable Music BMI - 2:34; 5500; (45-26115) Produced by Tom

Dave
davidasix

Re: Scott McKenzie Rare Single

Postby davidasix » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:45 pm

Found one of the songs, Scott McKenzie's "There Stands the Glass"

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/shows/11589

Quite a nice song. Bit of a throwback style-wise. Gotta love Scott's voice.

Dave
davidasix

Postby Nicole » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Hi Dave,
Wow, Thanks for posting that. Cool song. Maybe one day someone will put it out on cd!
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:04 pm

Anybody know what year this is from?

*edit: Did a little research, looks like it's from 1965, as Capitol singles 5499 and 5501 (both with the same orange/yellow swirl labels) are both from that year.
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby davidasix » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:59 pm

I finally got my ears onto the last two rare Scott McKenzie tracks that I know of:

"All I want is you" and "Wipe the Tears (from your eyes)"

The other two rare tracks from the same Capitol Records recording session with Alan Lorber "There Stands the Glass" (see above) and "Look in Your Eyes" (available for purchase online). I wonder if any other tracks are hiding in the vault? I do love Scott's voice. Wish he and John had recorded later in life. Maybe some more "New M&P" stuff will come out.

Dave
davidasix

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:55 am

That's so weird, I also heard both of those songs for the first time the other day...

Oh, and John and Scott did record together later in life, along with, believe it or not, Dick Weissman! Here's a quote from a recent email I got from Dick...

"There's a lost album that John did at his house in Palm Springs, not long
after his liver transplant. He flew me in from Denver, Scott sang and
played, John played and sang, John Kito played keyboards, and Kenny Brescia
played guitar. There was also a percussionist named Robin, and a local bass
player who was way out of his head. Some really amazing stuff, BUT. The
producer was a local guy who hauled all his equipment into John's living
room. There was n real separation, and the tapes were hash. Also John was
in his deal-making frame of mind. The "producer" did it all on speculation,
and wouldn't surrender the tapes. I think he still has them. Really a
shame. Kenny and I played very well together-I hadn't met him before.
There was a plan for me to do a tour playing for John with a small combo,
but it never happened. I did do about half a dozen dates with that version
of The Mamas and Papas. Scott and John were involved, Kito and Kenny
Brescia, until he quit, a bass player named John Hughes and a drummer named
Vinny. Denny did a few of the dates and then quit. The two female singers
were studio singers who were picked up through auditions."
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Nicole » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:44 am

Hi Chris,
Wow, thanks for the info. Maybe one day that lost album with Scott McKenzie and Dick Weisman will come to light. You never know!
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby davidasix » Sun May 24, 2009 12:54 pm

It's a good thing I sent an email to Iris Music Group/Alan Lorber about those unreleased Scott McKenzie tracks. Check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026E ... =dm_sp_alb

Here's A Song® (You Might Have Missed) Vol. 7

1. There Stands The Glass Scott McKenzie 2:00
7. Please Don't Cry Lonely Little Girl Scott McKenzie 2:48
9. All I Want Is You Scott McKenzie 2:40

You can even here clips at the link.

I am pretty sure there is more in the vault, cause I've heard one other track that was released:
Wipe the Tears (From You Eyes) (Scott McKenzie) by Scott McKenzie from
Sweet Reliable Music BMI - 2:34; 5500; (45-26115) Produced by Tom

Speaking of Scott McKenzie, did anyone get to listen to this:

http://spinitron.com/public/index.php?s ... g&id=64179

Dave
davidasix

Postby davidasix » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:30 pm

Just discovered the last known unreleased-since-original-vinyl single/track from Scott has been released via Iris:

http://www.amazon.com/Wipe-Tears-Your-E ... B005C1J2HE

on this collection:

Here's A Song! (You Might Have Missed) Vol 13

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C1 ... =dm_sp_alb

Enjoy - also could check out re-release of rare Cass Elliot on track 5.

Dave
davidasix

Postby Dark Horse 77 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:09 am

Dark Horse 77

Next

Return to Other Mamas, Other Papas